No two curls are alike, making it difficult to generalize about curly hair. In order to care for your curls properly its important to know what type of curls you have. Look over the three types of curls and decide what characteristics bet fit your hair.
You know you have corkscrew hair if you have...
1. Curls are tightly wound as a French poodle's if cut too short
2. Lots of small coils of curls
3. Super dry hair that crackles with electricity
4. A high frizz factor
5. Very dry skin
6. Curls that tend to stand out from your head instead or lying flat
7. Hair that soaks up as much conditioner as you feed it
Botticelli HairYou know you have Botticelli hair if you have...
1. Curls that vary in size,
2. Curls that fall gracefully down your head instead of sticking straight out
3. Texture that is medium-fine
4. Hair that is brittle and easily damaged
5. Curls that sometimes cannot be coaxed into making an appearance because they're weighed down by the top layer of hair
Wavy CurlsYou know you have wavy hair if you have:
1. Hair you've always believed was straight
2. Hair that on humid days is surrounded by a halo of frizz
3. Hair that occasionally develops a natural wave, which you've tried to blow-dry out
4. Hair that has a tendency to look unkept
5. Hair that is flat on the crown
6. Had wavy hair when you were very young
Another way to tell what type of curly girl you are, is by the "Spring Factor," The difference in length of a curl when it falls naturally and when its extended. Here's how to measure: Pull a strand of dry curls down against your shoulder or neck to its full length. Leave your finger at the point where the strand touches. Now let go. With a ruler, measure the distance between your finger and where your curl naturally ends. The number is your personal spring factor.
Corkscrew curls: 9-12 inch spring
Botticelli curls: 5-8 inch spring
Wavy Curls: 2-4 inch spring
Now that you know what type of curly girl you are, check back for specific tips on washing, styling, and the best products to use for your curls.
Tips, tricks, and quizzes brought to you by: Curly Girl: The Handbook, By Lorraine Massey, with Deborah Chiel, and... the wonderful stylists at the Kutting Edge Salon and Spa!